|Posted by Site Administrator on May 20, 2013 at 7:50 PM|
President's Report and General Update
Some exciting things have occurred around the club in the first four months of 2013.
1. We have launched our website stctennis.webs.com
2. We have run the first of our Family Fun Days
3. We have seen some excellent results from the eight teams that played during the 2012 summer season in the WDTA and JVCLTA competitions
It is hoped our new website will be used to communicate regularly with our members. Fixtures and results and club news will now be posted on this site. It is also hoped that visitors to the club will find us a little easier as it has been confusing for visiting teams for many years due to the number of alternative courts we use through out a season.
Family Fun Day
We had our first family fun day on Sunday 17th March from 2.00 - 5.00.
Despite the weather beinga bit overcast some forty club and non club members attended and enjoyed the tennis, BBQ and drinks. Highlights of the day were the jumping castle for the kids and the cardio tennis, run by Gerry Mustey. The cardio tennis was extremely popular for adults and children however probably more so for the kids who got to see their parents run around foolishly.
Our next Family Fun Day has been set for 28th July 2013 - please mark this in your diary!
2012 Summer Competition
The club has started the 2013 tennis calendar with some excellent results over the 2012 - 2013 summer season. A full wrap up of results can be found on the "Results and Stats" page on our website.
The committee held a general meeting on Sunday 5th May and the following issues were addressed:
1. Drainage of lower court - we have had this inspected and the court complies with the drainage plan establsihed as part of the construction. Sheeting and drainage were installed behind the retaining wall between the two courts and also behind the retaining wall below the clubhouse. We are arranging for a tennis court maintenance service to run an agitator over this court. The agitator will break up the crust (mixture of sand and dirt) that forms over time in the matting. This crust reduces the ability of water to drain across the surface so the agitator will break it up, remove it and replace it with fresh sand. This should enhance drainage as it allows water to drain naturally through the fibres of the carpet.
Separately we have purchased one large squeegee to trial on the court. If successful we will purchase more of these.
2. Introduction of Club tennis polo shirt for Competitions - the committee are investigating the feasibility and cost of introducing a Club Polo shirt for commemcnement of the Summer 2013 season. More to follow.
3. Introduction of Team Manager meeting - commencing again in the Summer 2013 season we will run a short team managers meeting to ensure our managers know the expectations of the role and the rules and by-laws of the competition.
4. Working with Children Checks - a decision was made in principle for all committee members and team managers to hold a current working with children check. The club will produce a policy to this effect and will align with the recommendations of Tennis Australia and other sporting bodies.
5. General housekeeping issues including purchasing some additional clubhouse items.
We hope everyone is enjoying the Winter competition. If you have any questions please direct them to:
Membership - Jon Brittain or Phil Bainbridge
Coaching - Gerry Mustey
Competition / Fixtures - Gerry Mustey or Patty McLoughlin
Thanks and best wishes